BayBUG was formed on 16th May 2001 and became incorporated during September 2004.
BayBUG is affiliated with Bicycle New South Wales and work with them and other Bicycle User Groups (BUGs) to improve cycling conditions in Sydney. Communication occurs with local councils, the RMS and other bodies that provide for cyclists.
With constant advocacy of residents and peak groups like Bicycle NSW, it is possible to make positive influences such as bike lanes on roads and bike racks at shopping centres.
Development of Canada Bay Bike Plan
Road & infrastructure improvements
North Strathfield Public School: Rolf & Geoff install bike racks
Concord: Grade separated roundabout bypass at Ian and Wellbank St
Mortlake: Traffic calming bypass on Norman St and Majors Bay Rd intersection
Five Dock: Off road bypass on uphill section of Lyons Rd west between busy roundabouts at William St and Harris Rd intersection
Site visits and meetings
BayBUG participates in regular council bicycle consultative and traffic committee meetings
Inner Western BUGs join forces to recommend improvements on the Cooks River bike path
Ongoing consultation on Rhodes peninsula new developments including railway station upgrade
Consulted on locations of bike parking for shopping strip upgrades
Joined council representatives and consultant to view Drummoyne connection to the Gladesville to Chatswood regional bike route for the RMS
- To Canada Bay Council (May 2017): Submission on council’s 2017-18 draft operating plan
- Traffic arrangements at Timbrell Drive, Five Dock (March 2017): Improving the east – west bicycle commuter route and access to Bay Run at Timbrell Drive | 70m of Timbrell Drive video
- To Greater Sydney Commission (March 2017): Submission on the Greater Sydney Commission Draft Central District Plan “Co-creating a Greater Sydney”
- To Canada Bay council – BayBUG better neighbourhoods (October 2016): Summary submission (2 pages) | Complete submission
- Traffic Lights and Bicycles (October 2016): Report on traffic light detector loop effectiveness for bicycles
- To Canada Bay council – Bay Run cycle way
- To Canada Bay and Strathfield councils regarding hazards / maintenance and new work
- To City of Sydney council regarding draft bike plan
- To RMS regarding bike route from Strathfield Station to Powells creek